Padres baseball players open dugout canoe for fans after shooting outside stadium – National

The game between the San Diego Padres and the Washington Nationals was suspended in the sixth inning on Saturday night after a shootout outside Nationals Park that sparked echoes of gunfire inside the stadium and prompted fans to rush to get to safety in the shelter.

The shooting, a shootout between people in two cars, left three people injured, according to Ashan Benedict, deputy police chief of the Metropolitan Police Department. One of those shot was a woman attending the match who was beaten while outside the stadium, he said. His injuries were not considered life threatening.

Read more:

Ark Two, Canada’s largest private bunker, has lost its Noah

Two people who were in one of the cars later entered a local hospital with gunshot wounds and were interviewed by investigators, Benedict said, and the extent of their injuries was not immediately clear. Investigators were still trying to locate the second vehicle involved in the shooting.

The story continues under the ad

The gunfire caused panic among fans inside the stadium, some of whom hid under tables and behind seats as announcers warned people to stay inside the park.

“It was just a chaotic scene,” referee team chief Mark Carlson told The Associated Press. “We heard what sounded like rapid gunfire. We didn’t know where it came from.

The Padres had just taken the pitch for the bottom of the sixth when several loud noises were heard from the left side of the stadium.

Fans sitting in left field quickly started to come out the center field gate. Soon after, fans on the first base side began to quickly move out of their seats.

The story continues under the ad

Some fans crowded into the Padres’ canoe on the side of third base for cover, while sirens could be heard from outside the park.

Read more:

Woman accused of pulling out 13 teeth and stealing $ 23,000 from dentist’s office

Ted Borenstein, 26, was at the game with his girlfriend and best friend, celebrating his birthday and “having a good time” when he heard two pops. He said the group thought it was training for a fireworks show.

Borenstein said he quickly realized it was much more serious when he saw people in the stands start to march past and watched Padres shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr. “run away. ground”.

In the stadium’s Diamond Club, where he and his friends were, people were hiding under tables and chairs, thinking there was a shooter inside the stadium.

“People were on the ground, a little petrified, trying to calm the younger ones,” he said.

“I was surprised, I was scared,” he said.

The Nationals initially announced that there had been an incident outside the stadium and posted a message on the scoreboard telling fans to stay inside the stadium.

Read more:

Pilot dies after falling from hot air balloon on passenger trip to Vermont

The story continues under the ad

About 10 minutes later, the team tweeted: “A shootout has been reported outside the gate of Nationals Park third base. Fans are encouraged to leave the stadium through the CF and RF gates at this time. “

More than two dozen police cars, ambulances and fire engines were in the street outside the stadium’s third base and a police helicopter flew overhead.

The shooting comes as Washington, like many other cities in the United States, faces a growing number of violent crime and homicides. A 6-year-old girl was killed and five others were injured in a shooting Friday night about three miles from Nationals Park.

Just hours before Saturday night’s shooting, Washington’s mayor and police chief, surrounded by federal law enforcement officials, announced a $ 60,000 reward for information in the case.

As night fell, they were to investigate another incident.

Arman Ramnath, 27, from Arlington, Va., And a recent law school graduate, said he and a friend were sitting on the side of Nationals Park third base when they heard what sounded like to a fireworks display.

“We weren’t sure what it was. Then everyone started to dodge, ”Ramnath said.

Read more:

Shocking selfie captures the exact moment lightning struck 3 siblings

The story continues under the ad

Ramnath said he and his friend ended up hiding behind the seats for five minutes or more. After a while, people started to get up and go, he said, but announcements from the stadium told fans to wait. Finally, they were allowed to leave.

“It was very surreal. I didn’t really know how to react,” Ramnath said. “I mean, you hear about it… but you never expect it to be anything that can affect you.”

Police initially said they believed one of the victims was working in the stadium, but this was not the case.

The Padres were leading 8-4 when the game was interrupted.

Tatis had four hits for San Diego. Ryan Zimmerman scored for Washington.

The story continues under the ad

” I hope everyone is safe ! Tatis posted on Twitter.

© 2021 The Canadian Press

Comments are closed.